Have you ever noticed that your hair colour fades faster than you'd like it to? This can be frustrating, especially if you've spent a lot of time getting your hair just the right shade. But why does hair colour fade so fast, and what can you do to prolong it?
Multiple factors such as sun exposure and chlorine in swimming pools can strip colour from the hair. Additionally, using harsh shampoos or washing your hair too frequently can also contribute to colour fading. To further extend the life of your semi-permanent colour, try these tips:
- Use a sulfate-free shampoo: Sulfates are harsh detergents that can strip colour from the hair. Using a sulfate-free shampoo will help to maintain the vibrancy of your colour.
- Avoid hot water: Hot water can open up the hair cuticles, causing the colour to fade faster. Try using lukewarm water when washing your hair instead.
- Limit washing your hair: Dyes usually wash away bit by bit, especially during the first week after a fresh dye session, so try to limit your hair washing schedule to about 3-4 times a week.
- Use our Suck It Up Colour Locking Hair Mask: Our hair mask was formulated for bleached & coloured hair, but can also be used on natural hair. It can help hydrate the hair and lock in the colour to make it last longer. We recommend using it once a week to keep your hair healthy and vibrant!
- Limit sun exposure: UV rays can cause colour fading, so try to avoid prolonged exposure to the sun. Wear a hat or use a UV protectant spray when spending time outdoors.
- Swimming: Be it either at the pool or at the beach, swimming in general can be damaging to your hair colour. Additionally, chlorine in the pool water can penetrate the hair shaft and cause the colour to fade faster.
By incorporating these tips into your hair care routine, you can extend the life of your semi-permanent hair colour and keep your hair looking vibrant and healthy!